Thursday, August 1, 2013

Starting the Day Haitian Style

Early this morning Tim headed to Croix des Bouquets to check out houses being built through a partnership with the UCC's One Great Hour of Sharing and the Fuller Center while I stayed behind to work on my Creole studies.  I appreciated having the apartment to myself so I could better focus on "present progressive participles" and "duplicated verbs".

With Haiti's summer heat, our doors and windows are always open and I could hear the typical morning sounds of roosters crowing, the babies at the next door orphanage "goo, goo, googling", and dogs barking at some unknown in the background.  Today, however, another sound joined the mix as our landlady, Kekette, turned on her radio to a local pastor and began to actively participate in the message in our shared courtyard.  She sang, she danced, she shouted out "Merci Seigneur" (thank you God) and banged one of her metal cooking pots with a wooden spoon.  It is rare to hear one so totally immersed in praise and adoration and I was humbled and blessed by this opportunity to listen in as Kekette totally surrendered herself to her worship of God.

I must admit, "starting the day Haitian style" has put a lilt in my heart and a livelier step in my walk.  A pretty good way to begin a new day, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment